CHA and CHA Member BurdaStyle get together to share some DIY Bikini and bathing suits just in time for the end of school and the start of summer. See the complete release below…
Getting Crafty for National Bikini Month
Personalize and sew your own hot summer swimwear!
Bikini Patterns and Photos Courtesy of BurdaStyle.com
ELMWOOD PARK, NJ andNEW YORK CITY (June 24, 2011) – The Craft & Hobby Association (CHA) and CHA member BurdaStyle.com are delighted to share some hot DIY summer swimwear projects just in time for July and National Bikini Month. While not everyone who wears a bikini is a size zero, or has mad sewing skills, BurdaStyle.com, the world’s largest repository of downloadable sewing patterns, makes it easy for the average person to create cool swimwear at home at a fraction of the price of a designer bikini.
During July, BurdaStyle.com will feature hip swimwear patterns that almost anyone can create. So instead of going to the mall to purchase this summer’s waterproof fashions, this online opportunity allows you to “get your craft on” and create your own bikini. These three bathing suit styles as well as hundreds of others, listed by sewing skill level, along with sewing tips from real sewers can help you highlight or hide “those” special areas. Here are five tips for sewing bikinis:
- FABRIC: Girls and women’s swimsuits call for two-way stretch fabrics, the most common being Spandex and Lycra. These materials have a body-conscious stretch and dry quickly.
- LINING: A four-way stretch fabric made from 100% Nylon prevents a wet bathing suit from becoming see-through and keeps certain body parts from peeking out.
- STRETCH NEEDLE: A stretch needle in your sewing machine to sew Spandex or like materials is a definite must.
- ZIG-ZAG STITCH: This stitch allows for the swimsuit material to stretch without ripping, which will better accommodate a body hugging suit.
- ELASTIC: Be sure to add elastic banding for the top of a men’s swim suit, as well as around the leg openings of a women’s suit.
Not limited to women, BurdaStyle.com also offers fashionable swim trunk patterns for men. These customizable patterns allow men not only to be stylish, but to sharpen their sewing skills.
BurdaStyle is online sewing community with over 520,000 members. Our aim is to bring the traditional craft of sewing to a new generation of fashion designers, sewing hobbyists, DIYers and anyone looking to sew something. The website offers downloadable PDF sewing patterns, step-by-step sewing tutorials, skill sharing, inspiration, project ideas and people passionate about sewing. Visit www.burdastyle.com for more.